A highlight for any Intellectual Property Attorney is to travel the world and attend educational conferences in great locations (yes, it is hard sometimes!). The Attorneys from Wynnes have just returned from a week-long industry conference hosted by the Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA) in New Delhi, India. I have now had time to fully digest the depth and changes in the IP industry that all business operators need to be aware of.
There were a number of over-arching themes from the conference that featured great speakers.
With India being a growing hub of innovation, increasing their presence in the IP industry and general business opportunities that present themselves, there was no better place to discuss all the changes in the industry over the past 12 months.
Here’s some of my key takeaways from the conference:
- Robust IP protection is available in most Asian countries.
- India has a rapidly developing market. There is a growing middle class that has a growing appetite for quality goods.
- India and other Asian countries have a large workforce which can produce products cost effectively.
- Many IP owners only cover 1 or 2 Asian countries. Through licensing deals with manufacturing businesses, patent costs can be covered and additional income streams can be achieved in countries that would otherwise not be considered.
- The power of many – an incredible number of attorneys that I spoke to, or heard present, relayed stories of how they have helped their clients protect their IP with innovative solutions. Using the collective power of our industry and working with like-minded professionals I sit back and am further reinvigorated by the industry and its professionals and how working together we can get better outcomes for all.
Whilst there were many more insights that I can write about (and will do over the coming months), I can summarise it as a great week of learning, friendship, sightseeing and enjoying the local cuisine.
Taking the time out to increase our knowledge in this ever-evolving industry will further help Wynnes to generate more new ideas on how we, as IP Attorneys, can further assist our clients to be more successful.
If you are considering expanding your products / innovations / designs outside Australia, contact us to discuss and find the right commercial solution for your needs.
There are several strategies in which to delay the incurring of expenses in filing multiple overseas patent applications.
China now appears to want to be the leader in innovation and to do so they are placing a lot of time and resources into their system.
Considering expanding your products / innovations / designs outside Australia?
We also have a short attorney FAQ guide to assist you in preparing for the initial meeting and make it more valuable for you.
Your first consultation is free of charge.